Guitar Tuition With Edge Music - supporting your musical development, musicianship and creativity
I’m a professional musician, tutor, composer and producer, who has been teaching privately, in colleges and in the community for over 15 years. Classically trained in piano from the age of 7, and later taking up clarinet and guitar as further instruments, it’s always been about music for me. I went to Surrey University and became a “Tonmeister” after completing the BMus (Hons) Music and Sound Recording degree there. I have played in various bands, from a jazz 3 piece, and a “cocktail” pianist in 5 star hotels, through to rock, hip-hop/soul, funk, and crossover electronic bands. I have also performed my own songs as a singer-songwriter, both solo acoustic concerts and band gigs.
For more detailed background info plus qualifications etc, please see the "About" page, and the general "Tuition" page.
I also offer piano/keyboard/composition/music theory tuition and music production tuition, or a bespoke combination of any mix of skills the student wishes to learn/develop.
I am a passionate musician and teacher, I have seen how positive playing an instrument can be, across a whole range of aspects, including improving focus and motivation at school or work, increasing confidence, and bringing out joy, creativity, to mention just a few. I love to get to know students, in order to support them in bringing out their potential with music making. Focussing on strengths and working from there, to develop the other areas. Most important is to spark and nurture a student’s natural desire to play. This gives them the drive they need to learn, progress and enjoy.
I offer a “student-focussed”, intuitive and flexible teaching environment. This is my natural way, and I have found it be very effective over the years.
I can incorporate the following areas into the lessons:
• Posture and technique, knowledge of the instrument
• Acoustic and/or electric guitar
• Working with songs chosen by the student. Often I devise a “bespoke” version of a song in order to make it accessible for a student’s current level
• Providing personally graded songs covering different styles/techniques (strumming/finger style etc) across varied genres of interest to the student
• Rhythm guitar and Lead guitar approaches
• Trinity Rock/Pop/Jazz exam preparation if the students wishes to do so
• Improvisation and music theory, ear training and general musicianship
• Creation of a relaxed, friendly, focussed and fun environment
I look forward to our first lesson!
I have already supported dozens of people over the years, on their journey with music, so feel free to get in touch for a chat about your vision for music making, and see where a partnership may take you....